Friday, February 5, 2010

Why I want PPA to win in Anambra, by Kalu

The chairman, Board of Trustees of the Peoples Progressive Alliance (PPA), Chief Orji Uzor Kalu has explained why he wants his party to win tomorrow’s governorship election.

Kalu said that his party is a progressive-minded one which would give Anambra the change it needs.

He also said: "I have a stake in Anambra. I have a home in the state. They are my in-laws. They are my trading partners. They are my kith and kin. The men have not fulfilled their promises. The PPA has brought a mother, a woman who knows the feelings of the people. We are on course and she will deliver."

He took a swipe at the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Charles Soludo for attacking him.

Kalu said: "I am indeed disappointed. Instead of discussing issues, the Chief Agunwa Anekwe-led Soludo Campaign Organisation is chasing shadows. As my Speaker in the House of Representatives in 1991\1992, I expect Chief Anaekwe to do better than name calling."

Anaekwe stated: "This directive is the latest in the series of steps taken by the electoral commission to rig the election in favour of the PPA candidate.

"It confirms the unholy alliance over the years between Chief Orji Kalu, the chairman of the PPA Board of Trustees, and the INEC leadership, which has been an open secret. Chief Kalu has now relocated to Awka to ensure that the votes of our people in the February 6, 2010, election do not count.

"The INEC leadership is widely believed to harbour so much animosity towards Anambra State because of the stupendous successes its people have made in various fields, which it claims makes its people very proud.

"It is no surprise that INEC has since 2007 been insistent on imposing pipsqueaks and nonentities on Government House, Awka, so that the state will cease to be the Light of the Nation.

The PPA Board of Trustees Chairman wondered why he should be linked with the INEC Chairman more than the other candidates.

"Professor Iwu is my friend; as much as he is close to Soludo and Governor Peter Obi. The INEC boss lived in Aba like myself, he also taught Soludo at the University of Nigeria Nsukka. Prof Iwu is also close to Andy Uba of the Labour Party. I do not see the crime in that, we are all Nigerians", the former Abia State governor explained.

Kalu chided the PDP for seeing his presence in Anambra as a threat to their ambition.

"The Senate President and PDP chairman came to campaign for their candidate. The Action Congress (AC) train of bigwigs arrived Awka full of vigour. I am the chairman of my party’s Board of Trustees. Maybe, they expected me to leave them to tear the PPA candidate to shreds", the PPA leader added.

The former governor stressed that the PPA would bring change to Anambra State through Mrs Lilian Uche.

No comments: